Vibram FiveFingers (KSO Model)
Greg’s Gear Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
I am often asked “backchannel” for gear reviews on the equipment that I use on both my expeditions and for everyday paddling trips. Please watch my blog for future reviews and send me email if you wish to see a particular item reviewed. I will indicate any conflicts of interest (sponsorships, etc) and do my best to provide an informative review.
- Low volume fit is great for SOF kayaks and other tight boats.
- Models with an instep strap stay “stuck” to your feet (even in thick muck).
- Razor-cut soles offer excellent traction, even on wet surfaces.
- Soles are thick enough for common hazards yet thin enough for dexterity (such as operating butterfly rudder controls)
- Walking “barefoot” while in public feels sinfully good (you even leave a nice “barefoot” footprint).
- Sand is bad news. When walking in water, fine suspended sand can pack tightly around your toes and badly abrade your skin if not removed.
- Due to the toe pockets you can’t use the shoes with any kind of drysuit that features integral socks.